Sunday, September 5, 2010

Law #4 Ice Cream

Yummy! Yummy ooeey gooey bowl of Ice Cream dripping with Chocolate fudge topped with lovely white whipping cream with a nice red maraschino cherry perched on the top! Okay you can forget the cherry! I hate maraschino cherries!! I always give mine to hubby or it conveniently falls off. I must admit that it has been quite a long time since I have indulged. At least with the chocolate fudge and whipped cream. I still have the ice cream now and again only because I love it! Especially the vanilla persuasions! Vanilla Bean, French Vanilla and plain Vanilla are my favs! And why has it been a while, you ask? I am sure you know! No. 4-THERE SHOULD BE A LAW AGAINST ICE CREAM AND CHOCOLATE MAKING YOU FAT!

I remember as a child we were all sitting around eating Ice Cream. The older siblings were at the larger table in the dining room and the younger ones at the card table in the kitchen. Those of us at the card table decided it would be cool to stir the ice cream and make it creamier! So we proceeded to stir! It was vanilla ice cream! We were into the stirring when all of a sudden - “Stop stirring your ice cream!!” Our spoons immediately stopped! But it didn’t matter. The ice cream was nice and smooth and creamy! Now, every time I eat ice cream and have the urge to stir I think of my dad yelling at us to stop. I think it was nice of him to wait to yell until it had become the perfect consistency!

It seems to me that as a child, eating ice cream and chocolate didn’t have the same effect on the body as it does as an adult. Maybe it was because we didn’t have it all that often or maybe it was because we were more active as children. We did not eat out very often at all and mother always made a point of feeding us as nutritiously as she could with what we had. It wasn’t until I became an adult and was in control of my own choices as far as food that the pounds began to add up! I remember when we had returned to Salt Lake after Bruce graduated from Southern Utah we were living with his Dad for a while. This was a difficult time as Bruce was searching for an accounting job and was not having much success and living with parents when you are married is always a difficult thing. I can’t remember who came up with this but we discovered that cooked chocolate Malt O Meal cereal topped with vanilla ice cream was the thing to do! It was so delicious!! I am afraid I indulged in this treat a little too often! And it wasn’t just for breakfast! So yummy!!

Then came the invention of Magic Shell topping for ice cream! Put it on the ice cream and it hardens up! So good! The first time Bruce’s dad bought some he put it in the fridge! Needless to say it became hard in the bottle. We laughed! Reese’s Peanut butter Magic Shell on Vanilla Bean Ice Cream! Love it!!

3 comments:

  1. I sit by you on many nights... you and your ice cream! You would have three meals of ice cream a day if you could! I really loved remembering the old Malt-o-Meal and ice cream breakfasts you and the kids used to do! I remember eating it a few times! Yum!

    And the story of your father beating you kids over stirring your ice cream! LOL! I can so see him doing that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make that yelling at you kids. He never did beat you, did he! He was a good man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He did beat Mom once and it was Kay's fault! she was so mad!!! :D

    freaking Magic shell and ice cream! i hear that!!!!

    ReplyDelete