Monday, August 16, 2010

Law # 2 Falling Apart

If you have spent any time around me lately you probably have picked up on the fact that I am in perfect denial concerning my law #2. It is something that gnaws at me and I am reminded of every moment of everyday! There should be a law against - your body falling apart just because you are getting older! Ha Ha Bruce! You guessed it! Now, I have no problem with getting older. I like that I have a little more wisdom than I did in my youth. I no longer have to do something stupid to prove my worth as a human being. I was trying to think when I did something stupid when I was young but couldn't come up with anything!! Oh yeah! Ha Ha I just thought of something but there is no way I am going to put it on here! LOL So...anyway...back to falling apart! This idea has been brought more to mind than ever the last two years as I watched the people most special to me fall apart and in two cases leave this earth.
My father was a man that worked all his life in physically demanding jobs. During my life time he worked for a flooring company laying linolium and tile floors in homes and businesses. When I was in 3rd grade they built a new wing onto our school and he was there laying tile for a week. It was fun to have him there with me at school. Even tho I couldn't go talk to him. We would see each other and smile and that was enough! Later he worked for the Murray City Streets department building roads and driving truck. He was in very good condition physically. After retirement and as he approached his 80's it was hard to watch him gradually begin to fall apart physically to the point that he could no longer take care of himself. He died in the hospital from pumonia (who can spell that?!) caused from a broken hip at age 86. I still do not know the reason for this. It does not make sense to me.
 So...on to my Mom. If ever there was a woman hard to live up to it was my mom. There wasn't anything she couldn't do! At least in my eyes! Artist, Song writer, organist, play producer, craftwoman, gardner, geneologist, on and on and on! When I was around 10 years old I guess, my mom arranged for the piano, two pianos actually, of music from Sound of Music, and Thoroughly Modern Millie. We would have 4 people playing 2 pianos at the same time. We also danced and had flapper costumes. Fun Times! She was always serving others and had a hard time receiving service! So why does a woman like this get a brain tumor? Why did she have to go thru the horrible things she went thru after the surgery? As fas as I am concerned she stopped being the mom we knew the minute they took the scalpel to her head. She died 5 months later when she put the madness to an end by pulling out the tube in her throat! What is the reason for this? I don't get it.
As a wife you (at least I do) expect that your husband will always be around to take care of you. I am the type that likes to be taken care of! So when something serious happens to him like a stroke at age 52 those feelings of security are shaken up a bit! Thankfully he has recovered and has no serious long term effects from it. So what was the reason for it? I don't know.
Now to me! As a child I was pretty active. I enjoyed being outside playing. Riding my bike and roller skating were amoung my favorite activities. I would skate up and down the sidewalk with my skate key dangling from a string around my neck for hours! I loved the feeling of gliding down the walk with my hair blowing in the wind! (Wow! that was descriptive! LOL) As a teenager I wanted to play tennis really bad but I knew better than to ask for a tennis racket and lessons because there was no money. I finally got me one when I earned enough to buy it myself. I enrolled in a summer community tennis class held at the high school. I loved it! My dream was to play tennis but I was born before girls were encouraged to play sports, into a family that couldn't promote my dream and with a heart murmer that limited my endurance somewhat. So I took some classes at Snow College, played some with Bruce after we got married, then the kids came along and the rackets went somewhere else. When we lived in Vernal and the kids were older we bought each of them a racket for Christmas and began going to the high school several times a week to play tennis. We got pretty good! We had enough of us to play doubles and we would play a couple of sets. It was fun family time and good excercise. But as the kids got older and involved in their own activities the rackets went somewhere else again. The other day Kelly said we should all get the rackets out and play tennis! Yes! Let's do it!! Wait while I run down and put on my ankle and wrist braces and wrap my knee. Oh and don't forget the depends! What? They are all gone?!! Well I guess tennis will have to wait for another day.

2 comments:

  1. Do you remember when we were "courting" and began talking about that romantic llne... "Grow old along with me!" Wow... that turned out to be some bunk garbage didn't it! LOL! Well, here we are growing old together, and I don't think a day goes by that we don't mention how "STUPID" getting old really is! Blech!

    Well, I guess it's not all that bad, except for the nights when I lie in bed awake thinking we've gone 30 years together, what would I ever do without you...

    Then it is not a good feeling, and having you go through what you went through the last couple years in surgery and such, we actually got a taste of getting old, and that There really ought to be a law against it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Momma! that brought a tear to my eye! i never knew about some of the things you talked about... did it help you feel a bit better to write out some of those feelings you had about your parents?

    i love it mommy, keep writing more!!!!

    ReplyDelete